BEFORE THE TEST
- Maintain a positive mindset.
- Affirm to yourself, “I will give my best effort on this test.”
- Ensure a restful night's sleep beforehand.
- Wake up early to avoid rushing for school preparations.
- Have a nutritious breakfast (and lunch if the test is in the afternoon).
DURING THE TEST
- Stay composed and attentive to instructions.
- Read each question and all answer choices carefully.
- Remove obviously incorrect answers.
- Solve problems using tools like paper, pencil, calculator, or manipulatives.
- Compare your answer to the choices provided.
- Manage your time. If a question is challenging, consider skipping it temporarily and returning later.
- Note that question difficulty may not follow a pattern. Don’t assume subsequent questions will be as hard if one is difficult.
- Test creators use common mistakes to create distractors, so finding a similar answer doesn’t guarantee correctness.
- If uncertain, try these strategies:
- Eliminate obviously wrong answers first, then decide among the remaining options.
- Review all answers carefully before revisiting the question. Clues may emerge from the choices.
- If stuck, move on and revisit the question later.
- When unsure, make an educated guess. Answering all questions is crucial.
- Before submitting your test, review it thoroughly.
- Change an answer only if you have a solid reason.
- Generally, stick with your initial choice.
- Ensure every question has a marked answer, even if guessed.
If you have any test-taking tips to share, please post them in the comment box below.